Criminal Investigation Section (CIS) is one of two sections within the Operation's Division. CIS is responsible for supporting the efforts of our counterparts within the Patrol Section.
The Criminal investigation Section is comprised of three units:
- The Complex Crimes Unit investigates crimes against persons. Homicide, Sex Assault, both Adult and Children, Kidnapping and serious assault.
- The Property Crimes Unit investigates crimes against property. Burglary, Robbery, Felony Theft, Felony Criminal Mischief, Arson and Fraud.
- Our Evidence Retention Unit is responsible for maintaining custody over all evidence submitted to the Sheriff's Office. Evidence associated with some six hundred cases are submitted monthly.
Case consideration prior to acceptance into CIS is based on two factors:
- The criminal act is classified as a felony crime as defined by Colorado Revised Statutes,
- and the complexity of the crime is great, requiring extended time and highly trained investigators.
The Mesa County Sheriff's Office Property Crimes Unit has three full time sworn investigators, one Fraud Investigator and one Sergeant. Their primary duty is to investigate Felony property crime such as Burglary, Robbery, Arson, Auto Theft, Theft, Vandalism, Fraud and Forgery. They then present a thorough well documented case to the District Attorney's Office for prosecution.