Top Image Mesa County Home
Mesa County Sheriff's Office
Concealed Handgun Carry Permit  

Concealed Handgun Carry Permit

Application Submission Hours in Mesa County: Concealed Handgun Permit applications are accepted without an appointment at 215 Rice Street, Grand Junction, Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding observed holidays. As you consider getting a CHP, we strongly recommend you read our CHP instructions packet in its entirety before you begin.


Disqualification, Denial, Revocation, Renewal Refusal and Appeal: The Sheriff and the Concealed Handgun Permit Team take this process very seriously. Each member supports the Constitution of the United States and will work diligently and honestly to process your application. There are, however, factors that can disqualify applicants in addition to the obvious disqualifiers such as felony and domestic violence convictions. Multiple alcohol, drug and/or weapons-related arrests, proven untruthfulness, poor decision making, or inadequate training can together form an overall profile that makes an applicant unsuitable as a candidate for a Concealed Handgun Permit. Please consider carefully whether your background or personal circumstances could present an unfavorable overall picture. If your application is denied, and the denial is upheld after your appeal process is exhausted, your fees are not refundable. For more information on the appeal process go to the FAQ section below.

Medical Marijuana: While the Colorado Constitution allows for an affirmative defense for the possession of marijuana, if the individual possessing marijuana has a valid state registry card or falls under the rules of the Colorado Medical Marijuana registry as a caregiver, possession of marijuana is still a violation under federal law. For the purpose of issuing concealed handgun permits, possession of or use of marijuana is still a disqualifying factor. If you possess marijuana in any form, you must answer question #8 (under applicant history) on the CHP application form in the affirmative.

New Permit Application Requirements

An applicant must complete the permit application form and return it, in person, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides, to which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the applicant in a business, or to the Sheriff that previously issued a permit to the applicant.

The applicant shall sign the completed permit application in person, before a notary public; upon a sworn oath that the applicant knows the content of the permit application and that the information contained in the permit application is true and correct.

Applications submitted to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office should be unsigned. When presented, the Mesa County Sheriff's Office Records Division staff will notarize the application.

Submit and/or pick-up an application in person at:  

Mesa County Sheriff's Office

Attn: Records Division

215 Rice Street

Grand Junction, Colorado, 81501

Map It

You can also download and print our Application  here, or request an application be mailed to you by calling (970) 244-3500, Ext. 0. If you chose to download the application, please download and read the accompanying Concealed Handgun Permit Information Packet thoroughly. It provides all the information you need to know to complete your application.

The application fee for a new CHP is $102.50 payable by cash, personal check, cashier's check or money order. Cash must be in the exact amount; make checks and money orders payable to Mesa County Sheriff's Office or MCSO.

It is required that all applicants be fingerprinted to conduct a thorough background investigation and comply with state and federal laws. The Mesa County Sheriff's Office will obtain fingerprints during the application submission process. The Mesa County Sheriff's Office will also photograph the applicant at the time of permit issuance.

Original Documents Required

The following original documents must accompany your Concealed Handgun Permit application:

Proof of Residency: Colorado Driver's License or ID Card, Military Card and Duty Orders. The address on the identification MUST match the address on the application, otherwise a second document with your current address (i.e. auto registration, utility bill, bank or tax statement) will be required.


Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting: 

1. Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service

2. Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor

3. Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application, or

4. Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application,

5. A training certificate from a "handgun training class" (see definitions) obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete. 

If applicable, Naturalization Certificate or Form I-1551 Alien Registration Receipt Card (Green Card) and a completed Alien Questionnaire Form.

Frequently Asked Questions--FAQ Section

I am a retired Peace Officer, what are my requirements to get a CHP?

If you have 10 cumulative years of experience as a commissioned peace officer, you may qualify to apply for a Retired Law Enforcement Officer permit. For more information, click here.

Do I need a concealed handgun permit? Isn't Colorado an Open Carry state?

By law in Colorado, you are not required to have a concealed handgun permit to posses a handgun concealed inside your vehicle, your home or your place of business. You may also carry a handgun visible on your person without a permit in most public places in Colorado. There are exceptions, such as posted areas like zoos, government/school buildings, some federal parks, and/or cities with ordinances forbidding that practice. Whether you carry concealed or open, you need to be aware of specific restrictions. Any private business has the right to restrict weapons or refuse service on private property so a citizen with a handgun exposed in plain view may be asked to leave. Also, the law prohibits being in possession of firearms while intoxicated or under the influence of controlled substances. Many citizens don't know the law and may feel threatened by someone who is openly carrying a handgun. The best course of action for someone who plans to open carry is to cooperate fully and help the situation if they are contacted by law enforcement. Once law enforcement determines the person of interest has not committed any crimes, the contact will end.

How long does the CHP application process take from start to finish?

By law, the Sheriff has ninety days from receipt of your application to perform a background check and either approve or deny your request for a concealed handgun permit. Generally, it takes between sixty and ninety days to complete the background check and notify you that your permit is ready for pick-up.

I've been out of the military for many years, why do I still have to show my Discharge form?

Federal law prohibits anyone who was dishonorably discharged from the military from owning/carrying a firearm. Therefor, we need to see the type of discharge listed on the long form of your DD214 to be sure you were honorably discharged from the military before we can approve your permit. To obtain military documents online, click here to visit the National Archives Online Search.

Do I need to inform you if I move?

Yes. Please be sure to notify the Mesa County Sheriff's Office within thirty days of your move. You can do this by completing our change of address form and dropping it off at the Records counter of the Mesa County Sheriff's Office or mailing it to: MCSO, Attn: Records Division, 215 Rice Street, Grand Junction, Colorado 81501.

If I move out of Mesa County, do I need to notify/renew my CHP in the new county where I live?

No. If you apply for your initial concealed handgun permit with Mesa County, you are able to continue to renew with Mesa County, regardless of where you move in Colorado. Please make sure to update your new address with Mesa County Sheriff's Office within thirty days of your move by using our Change of Address Form. You may drop off the completed form in person with our Records Division at 215 Rice Street, or mail it to: MCSO, Attn: Records Division, 215 Rice Street, Grand Junction, Colorado 81501.

How long is my CHP valid for?

Five years from the date it is issued.

Will you notify me when it is time to renew my CHP?

No. Your permit is valid for five years from the date it is issued. It is your responsibility to submit the renewal application in advance of your expiration if you don't want a lapse in holding a valid CHP.

My permit is faded to the point that I cannot read it. What should I do?

If you unable to read the information on your permit or clearly see your photograph, please bring your permit in to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office for replacement, free of charge. Our business hours are located at the top if this webpage.

My CHP was lost or stolen. What should I do?

If your concealed handgun permit is lost or stolen, you need to contact the police agency where the permit was lost or stolen and make a police report. Bring the police report to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office, Records Division during regular business hours (list at the top of this webpage). A Sheriff's Office employee will make a copy of the police report and ask you to fill out a lost form or you can bring the completed lost form with you. The fee to replace your permit is $15.00, and we accept payment as cash, check or money order only.

I will be taking a road trip and want to carry concealed, what other states will accept my CHP as valid?

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has a nationwide list of reciprocity states. To view that list, click here.

If my CHP application or renewal is denied, what is the appeal process?

Colorado Revised Statute provides for an appeal process. (a) The sheriff shall deny, revoke, or refuse to renew a permit if an applicant or a permittee fails to meet the criteria listed in subsection (1) of this section and may deny, revoke, or refuse to renew a permit on the grounds specified in subsection (2) of this section. (b) Following issuance of a permit, if the issuing sheriff has a reasonable belief that a permittee no longer meets the criteria specified in subsection (1) of this section or that the permittee presents a danger as described in subsection (2) of this section, the sheriff shall suspend the permit until such time as the matter is resolved and the issuing sheriff determines that the permittee is eligible to possess a permit as provided in this section. (c) If the sheriff suspends or revokes a permit, the sheriff shall notify the permittee in writing, stating the grounds for suspension or revocation and informing the permittee of the right to seek a second review by the sheriff, to submit additional information for the record, and to seek judicial review pursuant to section 18-12-207.


Concealed Handgun Permit Holders Before 2003

If you received your Concealed Handgun Permit before May 19, 2003, you are "grandfathered" into the new law. Just renew your permit when it expires under the new rules (go to "Renewals" section for more information).


Mesa County Logo with Text  Follow Us On  
Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Email Icon 
        Mesa County Home           Comments/Feedback          Copyright/Disclaimer/Privacy           Webmaster